Everything You Need To Know About ‘The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria’ Game & Trailer
Today has been a big day for Lord of the Rings and Middle-earth fans as ‘The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria’ first gameplay trailer was revealed at Summer Game Fest 2023 and will be compatible on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series alongside PC in Fall 2023. A new trailer was also dropped today that is linked below. This article will go through all the latest news surrounding the game and what the future might entail!
The big reveal in this trailer is that the narrator is veteran ‘Lord of the Rings’ actor John Rhys Davis who played Gimli and narrated Treebeard in the film trilogy.
The first gameplay trailer for The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria features never-before-seen footage from the PC version of the game. Showcasing their renowned courage and camaraderie, the Dwarves set forth into the cavernous Mines of Moria, harvesting resources crucial for crafting and building while rekindling long-cold forges to smith more powerful weapons and armor as they venture deeper still into the dangers in the dark. Players will create their very own custom Dwarf before their journey, alone or online with companions, where every new adventure will be unique through the use of procedurally generated environments. Dwarves can explore for treasure and mine valuable ores, always mindful to not create too much noise and attract the attention of the myriad dangers in the deep. Excavate the mysteries of the Misty Mountains, extract precious metals, scrape to survive, and battle unspeakable forces to learn the secret of the Shadow that lurks within.
The overall synopsis of the game reads as follows:
The story of The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria takes players beyond the books and into the Fourth Age of Middle-earth, the fantastical world created by J.R.R. Tolkien. Summoned to the Misty Mountains by Lord Gimli Lockbearer, players take control of a company of Dwarves tasked to reclaim the lost spoils from the Dwarven homeland of Moria—known as Khazad-dûm or Dwarrowdelf—in the depths below their very feet. Their quest will require fortitude, delving deep into the Mines of Moria to recover its treasures. Players will join forces to survive, craft, build and explore the iconic, sprawling mines. Courageous expeditioners will need to be vigilant as mysterious dangers await.
The Return to Moria team in their press release have also revealed the key game features:
- Feel the Fellowship: Experience the Fellowship of the Dwarves like never before, with the rich lore of the iconic fantasy world from J.R.R. Tolkien interwoven into the very fabric of The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria.
- Survive the Dark: To survive the treacherous Mines of Moria players must conserve
resources, hunt, and gather for food and manage their sleep, temperature, and noise levels.
- Utilize dynamic light systems for safety and to blaze a path further into the darkness. Battle unspeakable evils and survive hordes of monstrous Orcs in visceral combat, while uncovering the secret of the Shadow that looms within the mountain.
- Base Building: Find solace from the darkness. Reveal and clear new locations to create architecture on a grand scale. Get creative and construct bases from scratch or build upon the existing environment. Beware the evils which seek to destroy Dwarven progress.
- Rebuild and Reshape Moria: Restore the long–lost ancient kingdom of Khazad–dûm to its former glory, recovering Dwarven landmarks as the story progresses. Resurrect old mines and refire their forges to yield their untouched resources.
- Explore: Delve into the depths of the Mines of Moria. Procedurally generated environments are abundant with resources and fraught with mystery and danger, providing a unique experience each and every time.
- Co–op Multiplayer: Adventure alone or band together with friends in online cooperative multiplayer with up to eight players.
- Craft Dwarven Tools, Weapons and More: Craft and loot legendary Dwarven armor, tools, weapons and structures. Rebuild ancient forges to strengthen, repair and enchant gear. Upgrade and unlock new technologies and fantastical machines.
- Uncover Magic Artifacts: Discover ancient magic items including swords that glow when Orcs are near, maps of long–dormant Mithril veins, books with forgotten crafting plans and amulets that give strength or wisdom.
- Mine Ore and Jewels: Establish mines to unearth deposits of precious resources such as iron, gold, and quartz; and fantastical materials such as Mithril. Access crafting stations and forges to convert ore to ingots and upgrade gear. But be prepared, mining is loud and can awaken what lurks in the darkness.
- Comprehensive Dwarf Builder: Players become part of Dwarven Legend as they create their own Dwarf in the custom character creator. Dwarves can be customized in a variety of ways to create a unique Dwarven identity. Then, during gameplay, players can find and craft armor and weapons to further enhance their unique style.
The beginning of the press release states:
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. — June 8, 2023 — Independent developer Free Range Games and
publisher North Beach Games today shared a first look at the co–op, survival crafting gameplay of The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria in a brand–new trailer debuted at Summer Game Fest 2023. Additionally, the companies are pleased to announce console versions of the game are in active development for the PlayStation®5 computer entertainment system and Xbox Series X|S console systems, and are scheduled to launch simultaneously with the Windows PC version via the Epic Games Store in fall 2023. The only survival crafting video game set in the Fourth Age of Middle–earth, the iconic fantasy world created by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria follows the Dwarves as they embark on adventures to reclaim and restore their Dwarven homeland of Moria.
The Return to Moria releases this Fall on Playstation 5, Xbox Series X, Wii, Windows PC